Tutorial on How to install Linux (Ubuntu 18.04)

Hello everyone.
In this post I am going to cover how to install Ubuntu 18.04 on computers or laptops no matter how old they are ( unless your laptop or computer was made in 1980 or before ). Let’s start:

Step number one: Download Ubuntu 18.04 and flash it to a USB flash drive:
first of all you would need to google "Ubuntu 18.04 " download and after downloading it you would need to get " Rufus " which is the program that we are going to use to flash the ISO image to the flash drive.
Download Ubuntu 18.04: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
Download Rufus : https://rufus.ie/
after downloading these two required files > open the file ( Rufus.exe ) and then plug into your computer a flash drive that’s not less than 4 GB and then press on the button select to select the ISO image that we have downloaded. finally press start to start the flash process and keep clicking yes for all windows that pops up on your screen ( be aware that everything on the flash drive will be wiped for ever, so it’s a good idea to make a back up of all the files on the flash drive before this proceeding ).
Picture of the Rufus program User Interface on Windows 10 ( you should see something like this on your computer screen right now. Close and eject the flash drive ) :

Step number two: restart and do the magical process of installing the most privacy concerned operating system on your computer as a second Operating System ( dual boot ):

first of all you will need to google: what is the boot option key for “your laptop or computer name or brand”. Like for example "what is the boot option key for msi laptops? " after googling this remember the key and shutdown your computer. plug in the flash drive and power up then keeping pressing the boot option key until you see a screen like this (This is an HP laptop. Just keep in mind your laptop or computer boot option menu could be thousand percent different than this > that is totally fine :grin: ) :

now you will need to go to the option that says USB hard drive "a flash drive would work just fine with this option ". After that your computer will proceed automatically to Ubuntu installation media drive. It will look something like this:

choose " install Ubuntu ". You can try it first if you would like to " I just think that option is a waste of time ".
and then go through the installation process " it is super simple " These are pictures of the processes :

in this option you should go with the one that says install Ubuntu beside your first operating system if you would like to keep your first operating system "The following picture "

click on the one that says continue "it just means that your hard drive is going to be split "

This process is going to take about half an hour up to 2 hours depending on your computer hardware

Now, The first thing you should do is update and upgrade:
press these three buttons on your keyboard at once CTRL + ALT + T. Which will bring up the terminal.

type this command into your terminal window " sudo -s "

type this command into your terminal window " apt update "

type this command into your terminal window " apt upgrade " and then the key " Y " to confirm

and the final step is to reboot the system for all updates to take effect

now I would like to say to you that you have done a great job. This operation is administrator level.
Thank you to Mister Miguel for hosting this great website.
if you have any questions type them in a comment please.

2 Likes

Good Work @Diyaa !

Any reason you’d install Ubuntu 18.04 over another distribution? Or is it because it’s the easiest for non-technical people?

Also, you can do screenshots of installations by doing it inside a Virtual Machine, and taking screenshots from the host.

1 Like

I think one of the big reasons I tend to use Ubuntu (LTS versions) is that they have support for a long time. And since a lot of people use them, they have more “eyes” and contributors. So stuff is usually fixed relatively quickly.

I still have a couple of 12.04 servers that I need to migrate soon. They’ve been running non-stop for 5 years.

1 Like

Thank you for your encouragement.
you mean install Ubuntu 18.04 over Ubuntu 16.04 that would be called an update, but installing Ubuntu 18.04 beside Ubuntu 16.04 to and then move all data to Ubuntu 18.04 to Upgrade the system in the long way but without facing any problem would be a pretty good idea to Upgrade your computer or server if you have a physical access to it. But in this way you would need more hard drive space.

I actually have vmware installed but I preferred to do it from the boot directly so that you can use all the resources of your computer without warring about system running inside another system which is I call a waste of resources and time, but their is a good point to this (you will have access to both systems the host and the guest ).

There is one more thing that I wanted to mention.
if you have Ubuntu installed as a Main Operating System on your PC or Laptop and somehow you need Kali Linux because you would like to hack into your neighbor WIFI and become more anonymous, because you wanted to do something not good on the internet, but at the same time you would like to keep Ubuntu 18.04, because you liked it. And you only have 2 cores CPU with 4 GB of RAM. Now with these specifications you can’t run Kali Linux inside of a Virtual Machine unless you install the non-gui version of it and give it 512 MB of RAM with 1 CPU core. You can install Kali Linux as a second Operating System and Use the full resources of Your hardware.

You should use the .10 version at some point, because I know that you are some one who is interested in HELPING people building free stuff and make it better by exposing errors in the beta version or it could be to look up some new features on the system, but wait a second I think you like stability of the OS and not getting the annoying window that says “would you like to report this error to the team to help make Ubuntu better ?”. You know what just never mind IGNORE THIS MASSAGE.

No, I mean using Ubuntu instead of other linux distributions. “Over” in this case means “choose instead of”

Also, the reason I mentioned using a Virtual Machine would be just to make the screenshots.

I am sorry for my misunderstanding.
well, I would chose Ubuntu “last version.04”, because it has more people working on it than any other Linux distribution. I mean they make it stable really fast, and as we always know that ( last version ) =( The previous version + Features + Security + bugs of the previous version )
I will do the Virtual Machine the next time.