Refurbished Laptop

I was planning on buying a used Surface Pro 3 from eBay but I have a few concerns:

1. Will the device (i7-4650U, 8GB, 512GB SSD) last for a few years without slowing down a lot? I plan on using it for simple tasks like web browsing and coding.
  2. Is it risky to purchase used in case the battery has degraded? The seller has good ratings but I know that some Surface devices were affected by battery degradation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Depends on the price :slight_smile: For $200 it’s a steal! Anything over $500 or so is probably overpaying a bit.

What model is it?

The CPU is 5 generations behind (more than 6 years old?).

But otherwise, it’s a decent computer for general work.

It is $530 ($600 with shipping); however, that includes the official docking station and keyboard (so maybe still overpriced). It is a Surface Pro 3 1631. The main reason I have chosen it is for the portability (it is around 2 pounds when combined with the keyboard).

Yeah, for $600 you can do much better, but maybe not on the weight.

Look for new laptops at $600 if that’s your price point. They’re all newer processors, faster buses, and have a warranty:

Here’s a dell for $529:

https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/productdetail/30a2

And if you look on the Staples and Best Buy sites, you can find computers under $600 that will also be better, in my opinion, than a used 5-year old computer from eBay.

Check amazon for refurbished laptops. You can get an i7 for around 500 Canadian.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies. I will try finding another option as suggested.