Linode Nginx Help

So I was building my website on linode and wanted to get an SSL certificate so I installed certbot following the tutorial given. However once it was installed all I got was the “welcome to nginx page” and I could not get into my website. and when I called support they said that I was supposed to configure my website to take HTTPS before getting the certificate. So then I went ahead and deleted certbot and after that it just nothing came up for both my domain and IP but for the domain it still had HTTPS showing up. I tried reinstalling certbot using the following commands.

sudo apt install certbot python-certbot-nginx
sudo certbot --nginx

However when I run the second line I get this error (ive also attached a picture)

Error while running nginx -c /etc/nginx/nginx.conf -t.
"
nginx: [emerg] open() “/etc/letsencrypt/options-ssl-nginx.conf” failed (2: No such file or directory) in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default:147
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
"
When I talked to support they said my website is still there but there is problems with my configuration, ive tried almost everything and was wondering if you can help me at least get back into my wordpress website.

Thanks,
Disen

why did you do nginx?

do you even know if you have it?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:certbot/certbot
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install certbot python-certbot-apache
sudo certbot --apache

I have nginx it come with the one click install for wordpress on linode

The sudo add-apt-repository universe gives the following error

Error: ‘universe’ invalid

here is what happend after I reinstall nginx Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 2.00.46 AM

Hi Disen,

If you’d like (and with @Diyaa’s help) we can do a Zoom meeting or something similar and help you with it.

Shouldn’t be too difficult. The problem seems to be the config file is expecting some stuff that isn’t there.

Generally, the way you’d do letsencrypt is to get your site up and running first, then install the SSL certificate. And don’t do the “automatic redirect” until everything’s the way you want it, otherwise you could get stuck in a loop.

If you, and @Diyaa would like to do a Zoom meeting later this morning, we can, and maybe you could share your screen or we could ssh into your system and try and fix things.

The “one-click” stuff never seems to work out for people who like to tinker. I’ve never used it, and I always install stuff manually.

Ok yeah that be great, what time would you guys be available?

Hi, sorry I wasn’t available all day :frowning:

If you still want to do a video thing, let me know – send me a personal message on here, or via e-mail.

1 Like

Ok, I went ahead and sent you an email

sorry I didn’t see this massage and I attended some online classes today which made me unavailable for the entire day.

now I can help if you are online @disen_kottage1

Thats fine, I am ready whenever you are

yeah, sure, why not.
lets check where the problem is.
do you want me to create zoom account?

so what do you have or where did you get so far?

sure send me the link to the meeting and I can share the screen with you

basicaaly I got rid of the NGINX errors and the IP showing nothing. Now I just need acess to the website to get rid of the welcome to nginx thing

I don’t know why zoom because it is not free.
it is free for 1-1 person call so Mr. Miguel wouldn’t be able to join.

how about skype? do you have skype

Well, what if we make it tomorrow anytime between 10:00 am and 12:00 pm, because my dad needs my help and that would take longer than the longest trip on a plane to cross mother earth :joy:. He wants me to explain things to him in a very detailed way.