Kids these days with their technology and their internets

That reminds me of this side project of mine where I’m writing a Game Boy emulator in C and it’s a trip. This code written by Nintendo engineers decades ago is now using my code to run and display.

2 Likes

There ya go, that explains it. I haven’t read much Ruby code (and I’ve never tried writing any), but I bet it’s easy to parse by a human.

I tried to explain to a group of Grade 10s today why I type less to view a file in the terminal. Or why I edit things using pico or vi instead of a text editor. Both of those are really old code too, and they work great, and are still part of the Unix underneath macOS.

I told them I learned about computers using one of these, connected to a BSD Unix machine:

So much of what I do is from muscle-memory, and I can’t explain why I do it. I don’t think I’m actually typing the letters when I do “pico -w textile.txt”

And I even add the -w part for “wide screen / no wrapping” even though it’s been unnecessary for the last 20 years or so. That’s just how my brain is wired.

1 Like

But how did you Snapchat?

“You literally had to snap your fingers while talking to someone.”

1 Like

With ‘talk’

Which still exists on macOS! Woah!

Since there were hundreds (if not thousands) of students on one unix machine, you’d just find your friend and “talk” to them.

And if your friend was on another “computer” as long as you knew the address, and it was running the talk daemon, you could “talk” over the network.

1 Like

Of course, we had IRC back then too. So we could use that.

But only real nerds were on IRC, while most of the “normal” student population were given unix accounts, so were reachable with ‘talk’. Unless they were offline :frowning:

Just in case you find yourself with an iPad and a floppy disk filled with a photo or two.

1 Like