Just read the post :)

@miguel

I have a VPS in france that is getting about 3 firewall passing attempts by random IP’s which is really scary.
in case if the firewall crashes on the system would that allow anyone to get in?

What is behind the firewall?

I don’t understand.

I am behind the firewall

but what I am worried about is that if someone gets into that server and try to attack people using me.

I don’t understand. What is behind the firewall? Is there another server?

Or are you talking about a firewall on the server?

it is a firewall on the server itself

I wouldn’t even bother with a firewall at all if it’s a server that’s publicly on the internet.

What’s the point?

Is the server having any open ports or services?

If it’s protecting an internal network, I’d understand. But if you’re running a firewall and opening ports to your services, then what, exactly, is the firewall doing? What is it protecting?

For example, if you’re running SSH on port 22, running a web server on 80 & 443, then you’re opening those ports, right? So what is it that the firewall is doing? What is it stopping?

Nothing.

Just don’t run any service that you don’t want the public to connect to?

Or if it’s meant to be open to just a particular IP address, only allow that address to connect?

Here’s the analogy: you open a store, and decide that you want the public to be able to open your store.

So then you decide you want “security” so you put a guard at the front door. But you tell that guard to let everyone into your store.

So what exactly is the guard’s purpose? Do you want him to stop people from entering, or to allow people to enter?

What is the firewall’s purpose? To allow traffic or not?

I have SSH on a port that is different than 22
and openvpn on a port different than 1194
besides plexmediaserver.

I was suggested that I allow incomes from a specific IP like block everything but incoming from my home network.

So it’s not meant to be open to the public?

Then just don’t allow any traffic on your services besides your home IP. Then you’re fine.

Why the extra firewall? What’s it’s purpose?

Only want SSH to connect from one IP or range? Then tell SSH to only allow a particular IP or range.

yeah that would be even better than having a firewall

I think you want to look into /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny

And then just put your “trusted” IP address or range in there. And then don’t worry about it.

Or depending on which version of linux you’re using, there might be a newer or different way of just denying all connections to anything except your IP address.

Then don’t worry about it :slight_smile:

1 Like