Just a little update!

Hello everyone,

I would like to post up here what I have and what I am doing at home since I have a crazy desire to learn about technology. It is like addiction for me. I hope someone can benefit from this or make suggestions at least!

Lets start from the bottom up.

About a month ago I decided to buy myself a new setup to run Esxi 24/7 so I started with a new build from that has the following specs:

• CPU: i5-10400 [ 6 cores - 12 threads @2.9 GHZ up to 4.30 GHZ with 12 MB of smart cache ]

• RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 2666 MHZ Non-ECC

• Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460-PLUS [ 2 Nvme on board ports, its got some other good features link

• Case: CORSAIR CARBIDE SPEC-04 Mid-Tower link a pro tip is look for how many Hard drives the case has and the cooling [ number of fans the case can hold. mine has 4 x [ 3.5 inch SATA ] and 2 x [ 2.5 inch SATA SSD ]

• Power supply: Corsair CV Series CV550-550 Watt Power Supply link. I had to look for a one that has CONTINUOUS power output not RATED power output.

• Nvme Storage: 1 x [ Samasung 970 Nvme 500 GB link ] 1 x [ P2 Crucial 500 GB link ] 2 x [ Kingston 240 GB SATA SSD link ] 4 x [ HDD seagate BarraCuda Compute 7200 RPM with 256 MB of cache on each drive link ]

• Network Card: Intel i340-T4 x 4 Ethernet ports 1 GBit each link

• CPU Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 Evo link

• Operating System: Esxi 7.x with no linux layer on it which vmware claims that the linux layer they had in 6.x was reducing performance [ I think that was an excuse to avoid the lawsuit ].

Here is the final product :

Here is the WebUI:

The Raspberry pi 4 on top the very top in the first picture is my PiKVM which is what I use to see Esxi [ acts like a physical monitor ]:

The Mini PC link on the bottom with 2 Ethernet interfaces is my pfsense 2.5.1 Router that manages all of my networks:
Specs:

• CPU: Intel Celeron Quad Core J3455
  • RAM: 6 GB DDR4
  • Storage: 128 GB mSATA SSD
  • Network: 2 Gigabit Ethernet and 1 Wifi adapter dual band

In that Router I have 3 subnets 2 of these are VLAN subnets.

• WAN: DHCP request from main router. My dad won’t let me bridge our Shaw router which is garbage to my pfsense box with 6 GB of RAM 4 Core CPU and 128 GB NVME :frowning: .
  • LAN subnet: 10.8.10.0/24
  • ESXI subnet: 10.8.20.0/24
  • Wireless subnet: 10.8.30.0/24

Here is my OpenMediaVault soft RAID 5 setup living inside of Esxi with the 4 HDD hard drives being passed through from Esxi directly to the OpenMediaVault VM:

Here is the media Virtual Machine which literally just sets there and read all the media I have on OpenMediaVault like movies, Tvshows, and some other media data.

By the way all the Ethernet cables in this setup are made by me! I bought a 100 feet of Cat 6 stranded cable from amazon and a cable termination tools with RJ45 pass through staggered connectors.

• Termination tool: link

I hope that someone would benefit from this or at least give me some suggestions if you have some good suggestions.

Thank you to @miguel for keeping this site up 24/7