Ethernet cables ending

Hello everyone I thought it would be better to share what I am learning here so that everyone learn from it.
The 568A to 568B cable module is a cable that you could use to transfer data between devices without the need of a router or a switch.
you can actually make it by yourself if you follow this picture.
This is what is called a crossover ethernet cable.
@miguel please correct me if I am wrong about this.

These days, most NICs will auto negotiate, using Auto MDI-X. You don’t need to have a cross-over cable anymore.

I doubt you’d find a Network interface from this century that doesn’t have MDI-X.

So just make a normal straight-through cable (with 568A on both ends), and don’t worry about it. Your devices will automatically figure it out.

Is that a hardware. The MDI-X

Yes, all ethernet interfaces should have MDI-X now. It’s been around since 1998. I can’t remember the last time I needed a crossover cable :slight_smile:

1 Like